Hunting is a serious and responsible occupation, and the hunter’s approach to choosing equipment is very careful, whether it’s clothes, shoes or binoculars. An extremely necessary component of the outfit is a backpack or other device for carrying goods. In addition, the hunter also has to carry food, clothing, and, of course, trophies. How do you choose the best elk hunting pack? We’ve examined lots of elk hunting pack reviews and created our top list of the best ones for 2023. The best elk hunting pack must be comfortable to wear and be ergonomic. It should be made of strong enough materials so that its skin does not tear, and you have not collected your equipment throughout the forest. The best elk hunting backpack should also be made of low-noise materials, as rustling could give you away at the most inopportune moment, and, of course, it should have an adequate balance of weight and volume. It should not be small – the option in which you can put only a sleeping bag and dishes – but it should not be too large. And, of course, its volume should allow you to take a lot. Therefore, select a medium-sized backpack. This should contain everything that you need, and its volume should be at least 80 liters. By the way, some hunters believe that it is better to buy two backpacks at once. One – for a long hunt (when you go to the forest for a few days), the other – for a one-day hunt. Naturally, the equipment of such backpacks should be different.
Top 5 Best Elk Hunting Packs: Comparison Chart
|Tenzing Choice Hunting Daypack
|5500 cu. in.
|Eberlestock X2 Pack
|1830 cu. in.
|Microsuede waterproof fabric
|2750 cu. in.
|ALPS OutdoorZ Traverse EPS
|4800 cu. in.
|Eberlestock Little Brother Pack
|1800 cu. in.
Best Overall: TIDEWE Hunting Backpack
It is also one of the favorite backpacks among hunters. You can use it as the best hunting day pack but bear in mind that it has enough spaces to keep you settled outdoors for three days. At the same time, do keep in mind that it is wonderfully lightweight – it weighs only around 3 pounds. That is especially important for hunters to cover long distances during the day. It comes with two horizontal and two vertical straps, as well as compartments for carrying a bow or rifle. The model is firm and durable, features a stylish design, and thus it is possible to use it also as an everyday backpack.
- Easy to use
- A lot of compartments
Best for Bow Hunting: Eberlestock X2 Pack
We truly believe that Eberlestock managed to design an unmatched product when it comes to backpacks for hunters. As it weighs approximately five pounds, it is fair to say that it is pretty lightweight. That’s fantastic when you have to carry a heavy load on your back all day. It has a carrying capacity of 50 liters, which means that you can put all of your necessities. The aluminum frame provides excellent support for the back without touching the skin and causing any problems. Talking about the features, you cannot miss that these eberlestock hunting packs have everything – bow carrier, rifle sheath, compression straps, waist belt pockets, etc. If you can imagine all around a perfect backpack, then this is the one – it’s not big so you can easily maneuver through thick bushes, but spacious enough to be the best daypack for elk hunting.
- Fits well on the back
Best 1-day Elk Pack: Badlands 2200
Badlands is also one of the models considered to be the best hunting backpack for elk hunt. It’s easy to carry because of the soft memory foam that conforms to the body. The manufacturer tested new technologies, so instead of standard aluminum, you get a magnesium alloy frame with these best hunting packs for packing out meat. This made this item even more lightweight and durable. Very convenient pack too, since it comes with a lot of compartments and side pockets. An additional reason why hunters love it is that it is easy to put it on and off. It is perfect for one-day elk hunts.
- Magnesium alloy frame
- A lot of pockets
Best Budget Elk Pack: ALPS OutdoorZ Traverse EPS
According to hunting backpack reviews, this one is indeed ideal when you are carrying a heavy load. A sturdy, affordable backpack that allows you to take a lot of things. It’s made of heavy-duty materials that come with rain protection. It features zipped pockets where you can put the weapon. The capacity of this backpack is 74 liters, and it weighs about 6 pounds. An additional benefit of this backpack is that it features padding on the back and waistband, so it feels comfortable on your back regardless of how much time you spend walking with it. The main downside is that the shoulder straps aren’t padded and seem to be a bit narrow.
- Good materials
- Padded waistband and back
- Shoulder straps are not comfortable
Lightest Elk Hunting Pack: Eberlestock Little Brother Pack
It is a convenient, small, and lightweight backpack. It is compatible with the F1 mainframe, which makes it an excellent external frame hunting backpack. This backpack with pack frames for elk hunting weighs only about 4 pounds, yet it is one of the high-end models. It’s also a waterproof backpack, made of special kevlar woven water-resistant fabric. Even if this bag is small, you can still put it in a sleeping bag and tent as well as other necessities. However, according to many users, this product is not very comfortable and thus not convenient if you have to walk all day.
- A lot of space
- Not very comfortable
Notable Hunting Pack Brands
- Eberlestock was founded by Glenn Eberle, a biathlete that competed in the Olympics in 1984 and makes equipment for hunters, shooting enthusiasts, and adventurers. Their main idea is that you can always expect more from being outdoors.
- Kuiu uses the latest technology to make the best hunting gear that always pushes the boundaries. The products are innovative and made with the highest quality materials.
- The founder of Kifaru, Patrick Smith, created another company – Mountainsmith. Only after selling it in 1990, he founded Kifaru International with the idea to make mountaineering backpacks that can be more comfortable and sophisticated.
- Badlands was also initially a mountaineering company by a group of people who had a lot of dreams and ideas but far less money. Finally, in 1995 their luck turned around, and they started building a hunting gear business.
What Is the Best Hunting Backpack to Choose?
Depending on the nature of the structure, the backpacks for hunting elks can be divided into the following types:
- Standard backpack: This is presented in the form of a bag equipped with a metal frame and a suspension. From a rational point of view, this may not be very convenient since the product has a rather impressive weight, especially when it’s full. Besides, the specific nature of the bag makes it uncomfortable when walking, hitching over bushes and trees.
- Anatomical soft models: They are quite comfortable in the sock because they are small in weight, comfortable in shape, and very light on the back, regardless of the weight inside them. However, the main drawback of this product is the almost complete deformation of the things stored there since the backpack walls do not have additional protection. Tip: when choosing anatomical models, try to protect soft objects from damage by placing them in dense containers or reinforcing them in another way.
- Frame backpack: This one will reliably protect all items against damage because it has a reliable base in the form of plates, vertically located to the back. The framed product is reliable and convenient to use, and this elk hunting pack would be the most optimal option for hunting, if not for its rather considerable weight. As usual, it has a lot of places for carrying hunting supplies.
- Backpack with additional functional features: It can be, for example, a backpack with a chair. In this model, from the outside, there is a specially attached folding chair. To unfold it, just unfasten the existing fasteners. Recommendation: hunters should look at these backpacks because it is a compact and convenient version of a foldable seat, a great backpack, according to elk hunting pack reviews.
Best Hunting Packs Buying Guide – What to Look for
The best backpack for hunting elk should be comfortable, roomy, and not very heavy. Based on these qualities, here are the main criteria for choosing an elk hunting backpacks:
- Convenience: The most comfortable are considered anatomical models, especially if they have soft support rollers.
- Capacity: The best hunting pack for elk hunting, with a lightweight, is able to accommodate the numerous attributes of the hunter, such as food, water, aluminum utensils, warm clothes, personal hygiene items, documents, and ammunition. Tip: a quality backpack, even an empty one, should keep its shape, and should not swell and lean on one side when it’s filled.
- Quality of the material: The hunting pack should be waterproof to prevent damage to things during rain or unforeseen situations. Pay separate attention to the straps fastening products – they must be strong and resilient, and the clamps need to withstand any load. As for fixing pockets and internal departments, it is more appropriate to use a carbine system for external additions, and internal departments can be decorated with lightning or buttons.
- Rigidity of the frame: It is one of the main parameters when choosing the elk hunting pack. Since it will have to be worn a lot, the backpack should be snug to the back as tightly as possible; otherwise, prolonged wearing will bring a lot of discomfort. The best option is the skeleton of the backpack in the shape of the spine, the preferred shape of the bag being elongated and slightly smaller than the width of the shoulders.
- Availability of additional pockets and internal departments: These features provide an opportunity to fill the backpack as tightly as possible, which contributes to more comfortable weight distribution on the back; besides, the things located in the bag will not move during movement, which will protect the hunter from unpleasant sensations.
- Extra slings/pads: Additional slings and pads on the outer side of the elk hunting pack are intended for attaching excess things such as tents, rugs, folding tables, and chairs, etc., so these additions are very useful.
- Laces, screeds: Internal laces and screeds serve to reduce the volume of the backpack and provide more dense and high-quality storage.
- Waterproof: One of the critical things you have to consider when choosing a hunting backpack is waterproof ability. It is especially important when you’re hunting elks. Therefore make sure that the backpack is made of high-quality nylon or other waterproof materials.
- Load Lifters/Suspension System: These backpacks are designed to distribute weight equally across your back, shoulders, and waist. It’s easier with load lifters that you can adjust depending on weight. They are shoulder straps that lift and redistribute the mass.
Elk Hunting Pack List
|Clothes to wear
|Clothes to pack
The Best Elk Hunting Pack. Our Advice
As already mentioned above, the choice of an elk hunting pack and hunting gear is a very important matter. After all, your comfort during the hunt will depend on the suitability of the backpack you choose. In roomy and comfortable elk hunting packs, you can carry all the necessary supplies and meat; the more pockets it has, the more convenient it is. When choosing a device, pay attention to how often you are going to take this backpack with you, whether you go hunting for just a day, or for several days. Look at its roominess, quality of the material, the presence of additional straps and pockets. As for the best elk hunting pack model, we prefer the TIDEWE Hunting Backpack. It is absolutely universal, roomy, and made of quality materials. In addition to everything else, you can take a sleeping bag, with you, which can be easily attached to the bottom of the backpack. This hunting pack is ideal for long-term hunting, and it will serve the owner for a long period without any problems.