Ever since the US legislation reintroduced concealed carry law, many firearms manufacturers started to consider the creation of a compact, lightweight, easy to carry, and use pistols. Sturm, Ruger & Company produced a line of semi-automatic pistols to address this need and came out with their SR line – introducing the SR9. First produced in 2007, the SR9 became the cornerstone for law enforcement as a back-up firearm, and an excellent home defense pistol for civilians. Given that in 2020, 42 percent of American households owned at least one firearm, this Ruger SR9 review will be quite enlightening. We’ll be taking an in-depth look at the features that made it a recognizable name and why it is still looked to as one of the top choices for both veteran and entry gun owners on the market.
Who is Ruger SR9 for?
The SR series has a wide range of pistols that the everyday person could use. And among them, the Ruger SR9 has almost become a household name. The fact that it isn’t complex, small, and lightweight and provides great grip is what has made SR9 one of the top-rated choices in handgun reviews. Moreover, it remains one of the most popular pistols for a wide range of users, from civilians to and law enforcement officers.
Price-wise, while inexpensive, the Ruger SR9 9mm pistol is not a cheap piece with a short life of service. Moreover, much like other handguns such as Walther P22, Colt, CZ etc. – it’s pretty easy to find and acquire the ammunition for Ruger.
Ruger SR9 In-depth
|Barrel length||4.14 in.|
|Overall length||7.55 in.|
|Slide material and finish||Stainless steel with brushed stainless finish|
|Grip frame||Black, high performance, glass-filled nylon|
|Twist||1:10 in. RH|
The Ruger SR9 uses a 9mm Luger (9x19mm Parabellum) cartridge. The Ruger SR9 barrel length is 4.14” and an overall length of 7.55”. While creating these Ruger SR9 9mm reviews we’ve also learned at a width of only 1.27” and 26.5 oz, this is one of the thinnest double-stack pistols available. Despite that, it touts a large 17+1 round capacity.
Ruger SR9 grip is made with high-quality, black, glass-filled nylon, with a brushed stainless steel slide giving it aesthetically sleek features that make it a very attractive piece. The three-dot adjustable sight provides a decent measure for accuracy, and many add-on sights are available if you were looking for something more high-tech. As far as reliability goes, the Ruger company is known for manufacturing quality and consistent firearms, making the Ruger SR9 pistol a great choice if you’re looking for control and longevity. Most handgun reviews that feature the Ruger SR9 also make note of how dependable and predictable a piece it is. One user tested it in their own Ruger SR9 pistol review by putting rounds through it, without first cleaning a brand new unit stove piping after 2618 rounds. Three other failures attributed to ammunition.
This piece has several notable features that make the SR9 an excellent firearm to have in your arsenal. So let’s take a look at some of these Ruger SR9 specs:
- Low slide profile: The Ruger SR9 barrel is designed to be held close to the user’s hand due to the low slide profile that reduces muzzle rise. This results in a quicker aim recovery time as well as improved grip comfort.
- Preset trigger: As a large caliber striker, it features a preset trigger similar to Glock’s “safe action”. It partially cocks the trigger when you cycle the slide, fully cocking and releasing when the trigger is pulled.
- Moderately long and heavy trigger pull: For some, the somewhat long and heavy trigger pull is a good safety feature. Especially for self defense and law enforcement applications.
- Large capacity and smaller capacity versions: The capacity is 17 (double stacked) but also comes in a 10 round version for places that restrict magazine capacity.
- Reversible backstrap: This feature allows you to choose between flat or arched grip housing.
- Robust safety features: The robust safety features have a loaded chamber indicator to let you know if you have a round-in. Plus, tactile cocked-striker gives a quick reference, meanwhile a firing pin block safety prevents the firing if it is accidentally dropped. Moreover, this feature allows for the safety of the thumb and provides a good magazine release.
Overall Pros and Cons
Other Notable Handguns From the SR Series
This is a different, cheaper variety of the SR9. Just with the difference that this one is smaller in size and lighter in weight while the grip is the same. SR9c pistols have a dual recoil spring assembly. It features a standard 10-round compact magazine with a flat bottom floor plate (an extended floor plate is also included.) The second magazine is a 17-round that has a grip adapter.
Touted as a full-sized variant that chambers .40 S&W, the flush-fit magazine for the SR40 holds 15 rounds. While the basic dimensions are the same as the SR9, the through-hardened stainless steel slide was modified to be 0.060 in (1.5 mm) wider than the SR9. According to Ruger, this extra mass reduces slide velocity during cycling, which helps reduce felt recoil and increase life expectancy.
It is considered the compact version of the SR40, with the same size and weight as an SR9c. It either comes with two 9 round magazines with optional extended baseplates, or the standard 15 round plus removable sleeve.
This handgun is chambered in .45 ACP (auto) with a capacity of 10+1 rounds. It also features a reversible backstrap, three-dot sight, and while it is a large caliber handgun, still features a slim and comfortable design.
So all and all, it’s safe to say that Ruger sr9 9mm is one of the best handguns for everyday use on the market. Light, compact and affordable, it remains one of the top picks among many civilians and military alike. With that said, we hope that our Ruger SR9 2023 review helped you learn more about this amazing gun. So keep in mind all these little details, and decide for yourself, whether this little but reliable weapon is the right one for you! And perhaps some of you have already used this gun? If so, what are your thoughts? Did you like it, or are there some drawbacks that you’ve noticed?